An authentic medieval town in the heart of preserved nature - Not to be missed, in Correze !
The town of Merle is set in a landscape of forests and deep gorges. It is a spectacular feudal ensemble, with 7 towers built between the 12th and 15th centuries. Each tower belonged to a different lord.
From the beginning, this legendary « rock » was given the name Merle from the Latin word "Merula".
The lords chose this particular spot partly because of its dominating and spectacular position : upon a cliff, 30 metres high, 40 metres large and 200 metres long, the city of Merle developed in the meanders of the river Maronne. It was steep and easy to defend, leading to the development of a castrum which lasted until the 15th century.
The castrum, located between the duchy of Aquitania, the County of Auvergne, the County of Toulouse and 2 dioceses, was a toll. Several lords had rights over Merle. Among the local lords, the most distinguished ones were the lords of Carbonnières.
7 families of lords cohabited or succeeded each other in Merle, making it a major co-seigneury site. Several square towers were erected, to strengthen the families and keep them together (the lords of Merle, Veyrac, Pesteils, Carbonnières, Noailles, Saint Bauzile... ).
In the 15th century, when the Hundred Years War was over, peace reigned in the area for a long time, and contributed to an era of prosperity, for this “small, mighty town”. Unfortunately, religious wars broke out and caused great damage later on. The mutilated fortress was still used for shelter in 1574.
In 1350,over 100 farmers and aristocrats lived in the castrum. There were about 30 houses. Some were adjoining, others had their own gardens and orchards. In these modest homes, each social category was represented : lumberjacks, artisans, priests, lawyers, a solicitor… You can see the ruins of their houses on the slopes and at the foot of the boulder.
In the late 17th century, the villagers could no longer count on the lords’ protection, since they had left Merle for a more comfortable place to live. The population moved away and the lordship slowly faded into oblivion. However, people continued to live at the foot of the boulder until the early 20th century.
The castrum of Merle has been restored and brought back to life, and its heritage enhanced.
Merle was the administrative centre of a castellany, with its own grain weighing system… in a fortified site, with towers or hotels. It is not actually a castle because there are in fact several “castles” on the site. The castrum of Merle is characterized by its large number of co-lords, its own feudal organization between lords and townspeople with taxes and allegiances.
The beauty of nature completes the richness of the built heritage, creating a majestuous site perched in a beautiful setting. A medieval pearl in the heart of the forest overhanging a river.
Les Tours de Merle19220 Saint Geniez ô Merle
Tél. : 05.55.28.22.31 / 05.55.28.27.67
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Conseil Départemental de la Corrèze
Communauté de communes Xaintrie Val'Dordogne
Copyright Les Tours de Merle - By Kaliop